Mission: To engage professional women through fellowship, networking, service and philanthropy for a common goal of ending domestic violence.
Purpose: The purpose of Women against Violence (W.A.V.) is to assist Samaritan House in educating the community about the resources and services offered through Samaritan House. WAV will function as a fundraising and volunteer service groups.
- Encourage women to support Samaritan House through philanthropy.
- Inspire women to serve as leaders in the community acting as a voice for Samaritan House.
- Start a movement that challenges domestic violence stereotypes and increases public awareness.
- Mentor young women professionals to engage and give through acts of service.
- 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men have been the victim of severe physical violence by an intimate partner.
- 41% of HOMICIDES in Virginia are related to intimate partner violence
- 75% of abused women try to commit suicide
- Every 30 seconds someone is the victim of human trafficking in the U.S.
- Slavery was abolished 150 years ago, yet there are more people in slavery today than any other time in our history.
- Last year the trafficking industry generated $32 billion…More than Nike, Google and Starbuck’s COMBINED.
- The impact on children is devastating – children witnessing violence are twice as likely to be abusers and or victims of domestic violence